Permanent | Birmingham, Birmingham | August | £60000.00 to £65000.00<
Job Reference: 14615
The Planning Director is responsible for developing and delivering the region’s planning strategy and to successfully manage a team of consultants to deliver qualifying planning permissions throughout the region in the most efficient manner possible.
Essential Job Functions
1. To respond to the region’s commercial priorities and assist the Regional Director to satisfy his general business objectives. These objectives will principally involve site acquisition and disposal targets.
2. To develop and maintain a planning strategy which will identify the region’s priorities in terms of which local authorities and settlements should become the focal points for the region’s resources.
3. The planning strategy should identify Local Authorities within the region which will present the business with the most potential for residential planning applications. The selection criteria will be assessed against the Local Authority’s ability to deliver a 5 Year Housing Land Supply (5YHLS) for short-term immediate applications. For medium term opportunities involving Green Belt land, the selection criteria should be assessed against the Local Authority’s commitment to a Green Belt review.
4. To communicate the region’s planning priorities to the wider team and to ensure regular land studies are conducted in accordance with the planning strategy using a variety of resources available to the region.
5. To be principally responsible for delivering challenge free qualifying planning permissions for all sites within the region. This will involve site visits to assess the site on the ground and input into the approval process for site acquisition.
6. The Planning Director will manage a number of sites, instruct and manage consultants directly. This activity will be complimented by support and advice provided to Land Managers and Directors who will be managing a number of projects directly.
7. The Planning Director will implement a competitive tender process before selecting a team of consultants to provide advice, various reports & surveys during each project. Invoices shall be checked against the original fee quote with costs managed according to the overall budget allocated to each project. The Planning Director will seek approval from the Regional Director before instructing the team and also additional work that may be required in excess of the original scope of works as the project evolves.
8. To attend relevant Examinations in Public (in agreement with the Regional Director) and other relevant planning events and workshops in order to gather market intelligence which will help to shape the planning strategy.
9. The Planning Director will be principally responsible for mounting Section 78 appeals. This may include instructing Counsel and helping to select and instruct a team of expert witnesses required to support a public inquiry.
10. To review draft conditions associated with Officer’s reports to make sure they aren’t onerous or unworkable. To mount Section 73 appeals as appropriate in order to remove or modify an onerous or unenforceable condition.
11. To provide input before and during regional meetings.
12. Assist with input into staff appraisals as appropriate
• Fully RTPI qualified and Chartered
• Minimum of 10 years planning practice in public and private sectors
• Full driving licence
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Attention to detail
• An ability to proof read written communication
• To be self-motivated & self-disciplined
• A desire to invest time in personal development and training and develop personal develop for others
• To maintain a strategy for professional development so that qualifications remain relevant and
This Planning Director position is offering £60,000, car allowance, plus package and excellent bonus. To apply, please send your CV to daniel@THrecruit.co.uk or call 07795547888 for more details. To view our other Planning jobs, please visit our website www.THrecruit.co.uk or our Linked In page Taylor Herrick Recruitment.
Car allowance, health care, pension, excellent bonus